Cheri Harris Dental Center
- The dental center provides low cost dental care for children of low-income working families who are enrolled in the Newport-Mesa Unified School District.
- We provide general and preventive dentistry, plus orthodontic and endodontic programs.
- Our staff of general dentists, an orthodontist, and a hygienist provides professional care and are assisted by paid office staff and Assistance League of Newport-Mesa trained volunteers.
- Proceeds from our Thrift Shop and Treasures on Consignment, general fundraising, grants and memorial contributions provide the funding to operate the dental center .
- Our dental center has served the community since 1957.
- Hey kids! Watch a short video of Luke’s visit to the office.
Cheri Harris Dental Center is partnering with SmileOnU to provide dental implants to their patients. Call (949) 645-2882 for more information.
Operation School Bell
- This philanthropic program provides school clothing at no cost to children of low-income families.
- Students are referred to the program by school nurses and facilitators in the Newport-Mesa Unified School District.
- The appointments for clothes distribution are scheduled on Saturdays and on one evening of the month from mid-August through October.
- Appointment cards with the student’s scheduled Operation School Bell date and time are mailed directly to the home of the students.
- New clothing, shoes and school supplies enhance the students’ self-esteem and help enable them to better focus on their studies.
- Along with the school supplies, the distribution of children’s books offer students additional tools for academic success.
- Assistance League of Newport-Mesa has helped clothe over 6,500 school children since 1992.
The annual Scholarship Presentation Luncheon was on Saturday, May 21, 2016 in the Garden room. During the event 14 high school seniors from Costa Mesa High School, Estancia High School and Newport Harbor High School were presented with $2,000 scholarships towards their higher education. The event was chaired by Marcia O’Hern
and the Mistress of Ceremonies was Mary Lynne Bergman-Rallis.
Honorary Guest speaker was David A. Grant, Trustee, Coast Community College District, President Emeritus, Orange Coast College and 1958 Recipient of ALNM Scholarship.
VP of Membership Cathy Andrews attended the Estancia Scholarship night and was able to personally present the scholarships to the three winners on stage with Cathy: Stephanie Chairez, Cynthia Herrera and Ana Navarro.
The Kids On The Block
- This philanthropic program was developed by a nationally recognized educator and is presented to second and third grade aged children by volunteer members using life-size puppets.
- The program teaches young students increased understanding and tolerance for fellow classmates who have learning disabilities, physical handicaps, or special emotional needs.
- These presentations are made available upon request to elementary schools, hospitals, and community organizations.
- With a total of over 600 performances since 1989, these programs have been seen by more than 59,000 children and adults.